Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 56



Hello everyone! I've been working really hard on the edits for The Broken Curse so I can have it to you by Thanksgiving. It's extremely tiring with my new work schedule. But I've also been work-shopping my serial, The Last Legacy. I can't wait to share it with you guys! For now...let's do a prompt. :)
Prompt Fifty-Six-Oracle's Den
I found this prompt on Writer's Digest and really liked it. I think there's a ton of potential there. So here it is...You enter "The Oracle's Den" at a fair with your significant other. When the oracle gazes in her crystal ball, you see yourself five years down the road with someone you've never met. The only problem: your significant other knows who the person is. Write the scene! 
My response...

"That was so weird," I said to Camden as he shuffled out of the den. My head throbbed a bit, but I chalked it up to not sleeping the night before. Camden grabbed my hand as we walked through the fair, but didn't speak again. 
Until we got to the car.
"I have to tell you something."
"Uh oh. Why does this sound bad?" I joked back.
"It is. Remember that Oracle thing...I think it was real." 
"That's impossible. We didn't even know the alleged guy in the ball."
"You see...that's the thing. I do know him."
"What?" I sat back in my seat and stared at Camden. It was like he had grown a new head, or eyeball. I had trouble trusting my ears, especially as more time went by, Cam didn't say another word. 
"I don't even know how to say this..."
I reached forward and took Cam's hand in mine. For some reason, this was bothering him. It made him upset. And I didn't understand it at all. "Cam, whatever it is, I'm with you. We're fine. You can talk to me."
"The guy in the ball was my brother."
"What?!" I exclaimed. But when I looked across the car, I realized my reaction may have been too harsh. Cam genuinely looked distraught and I had to console him. "I mean. I didn't even know you had a brother."
"We haven't spoken in five years, since I left for college. I haven't seen him since the day I left."
"What happened?"
"He's an asshole. That's the bottom line. Listen, he's a manipulator. If he's coming back into my life, you can't speak to him."
"Cam, I want to meet your brother. I can't believe you never told me." Truthfully, I was a bit hurt by this new revelation. It made me think Cam didn't trust me, which made my feelings ache. Either way, he told me now and apparently a reconciliation was overdue. 
"You don't understand. I thought I'd never see him again." He shook his head from side to side. "He was dead to me."
"Awh, now isn't that just what a brother wants to hear." A man tapped on the window of the car, drawing his finger down the fog. I now recognized the resemblance in the two, although where Cam's hair was a light brown, this man's was a deep black. Their similarities were just as much as their differences. For some reason, my heart rate spiked. 
post signature

Write your response in the comments below! Or just tell me what you think of the prompt!

Don't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out some of my other prompts....

Prompt 55- First Line Re-Write
Prompt 54- Dialogue
Prompt 53- No Sight
Prompt 52- Myth Retold
Prompt 51- Setting
Prompt 50- Picnic Gone Wrong
Prompt 49- Character Risks
Prompt 48- POV Switch
Prompt 47- First Days
Prompt 46- Photo Booth
Prompt 45- Yearbook
Prompt 44- Fairytale Re-imagined
Prompt 43- Sugar Deficit
Prompt 42- 3 Word Challenge
Prompt 41- Shore Fumed
Prompt 40- Phone Message
Prompt 39- Enemy
Prompt 38- Not The Marrying Kind
Prompt 37- Living Heart
Prompt 36- Computer Attack
Prompt 35- Ruby Angel
Prompt 34- Fired Girl
Prompt 33- Lights Out
Prompt 32- Risk
Prompt 31- Snow White
Prompt 30- Mystery Novel
Prompt 29- Break Up Letter
Prompt 28- Not Really Human
Prompt 27- Drill Time
Prompt 26- Old Flame
Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate
Prompt 24- Hockey Injury
Prompt 23- 10 Year Old Letter
Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker
Prompt 21- Truth Telling
Prompt 20- New Years
Prompt 19- Alone for 7 Days
Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle
Prompt 17- Square One
Prompt 16- Stolen Lights
Prompt 15- Strange Reporting
Prompt 14- Thanksgiving
Prompt 13- Three Minute Free Write
Prompt 12- The Mind
Prompt 11- ABCs
Prompt 10- Mysterious Request
Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?
Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
Prompt 6- Ride Home
Prompt 5- Turned The Key
Prompt 4- Doug
Prompt 3- Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!