Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 38


I almost forgot about prompting today! I've been so busy with wedding planning and then I looked at the date and saw that it was Wednesday. I could never miss a chance to prompt. So without making you guys wait any longer, check out todays writing prompt!



Prompt Thirty-Eight- Not The Marrying Kind

I think this is going to be an awesome prompt. It's a scenario from my favorite place, creativewritingprompts.com, so put yourself into this girl's shoes. What happens when a man bumps into an ex-girlfriend while he shops for baby toys with his pregnant wife? The man once told the girl that he wasn't "the marrying kind"

My response...

I hang up the phone on Carissa, the person I am being forced to shop for. I told her that I'd just give her money for the baby shower, but as her best friend, she said I had to come up with something clever. The only baby store in the area is this small boutique so I step inside and look around, clueless.

"Mel?" My name comes from behind me, right out of the mouth of someone I've been trying to avoid for months. His voice instantly settles inside of me, the familiarity of it disturbing.

"Hey Scott," I start to say but am cut off as I turn and see him with a woman beside him. A woman with a large pregnant belly and as I look left, a sparkling ring on her finger. I look between the two trying to put the situation together, but it's painfully, and I mean painfully obvious. "Jesus," I mutter, shaking my head.

"Mel, it's not... well, it is..." Scott stumbles over his words.

"Hi. I don't think we've met. I'm Lynn, Scott's wife. And you are?" the woman asks, her voice all buttery and smooth. Her blonde hair looks natural, and shiny and her pregnancy really does make her look right. Some women just have it. I, on the other hand, do not. 

I guess at one time I thought I could have the perfect little picket fence life. I thought I could have it with Scott, too. I was prepared for marriage, prepared for the kids and giving up on my dreams. But Scott left me almost a year a go and it's pretty damn clear he moved on fast.

"Sorry," I say, shaking my head. "I'm Melanie." I hold out my hand and take hers, giving it a light shake. Her hands are completely soft, showing just how much work she's done. Mine are calloused from the numerous hours spent on my laptop writing.

"You're Melanie?" She questions, wrinkling her nose at me.

"Uh, yeah. Why?" I give it right back to her. 

"You're Scott's Melanie. I can see why his parents hated you," she snickers. That was the reason Scott eventually dumped me. His parents. Nothing was wrong with our relationship, at all. We literally were perfect together. He accepted me for me, and I loved him for him. Only his family was a real pain in the ass.

They hated that I was a writer. Scott comes from money and they expect him to marry into an equally wealthily family. Or at least get a cute little trophy wife that does whatever he says. Clearly, they got what they wanted because here his little wife is.

"Mel, do you think we could talk?" Scott asks me, making me look right into his eyes. They're a death trap to me. His eyes have always been my favorite. They're really light blue, with grayness surrounding them. It's like staring into the ocean, or at the globe. Mesmerizing. 

"You know, I have to run. I'll catch you..." I run out of the door before I can finish my sentence. What the hell is he doing here? Last I heard, he moved to be closer to school and left his family behind. After we broke up, I was actually happy for him that he was doing something he loved. I thought he was. Obviously not. 

"Mel, please wait!" he yells from behind me. 

"I'm sure your wife is waiting on you," I yell back, refusing to stop running. 

"Mel," he says as he grabs onto my forearm and whips me around so we're face to face. "She's not even my wife," he mutters, shaking his head.

"Well I am, but not really."

"That doesn't even make sense."

"My dad made me marry her for a deal he worked out with her father. I don't love her. You know me. I wouldn't just marry anyone."

"I'm sure he really had to force you," I say, glaring at Scott, who's hand still clings to me. "And let me guess, that's not your baby either."

"Of course not. I've never even slept with Lynn. We live in completely different houses." His eyes plead for me to listen to him, but I just can't. It doesn't make sense. My defenses rise.

"Okay, Scott. I don't really care. I didn't ask for your explanations," I tell him.

"Well I had to make sure you knew."

"You don't owe me anything. If I remember correctly you broke it off."

"I only broke it off because you wanted more and I couldn't give it to you," he says, taking me off guard.

"You said it was because of your parents."

"You and I both know I could give a shit what they think."

"Then why did you agree to marry her," I say, pointing towards the boutique behind us.

"Because I didn't care enough. I don't love her. She's not a threat to me. You are dangerous because I did love you," he says.

"Did. Right. Well, I gotta go, Scott." I start to walk away but his voice finds me.

"Why were you in there?" he asks, his voice barely a whisper.

"You didn't know? My husband and I are pregnant. Wohoo!" I fake enthusiasm, flick him off over my shoulder and hop into my explorer. On the way home, I phone Carissa and explain why I didn't get her a present. 

"Why would you tell him you're pregnant?" She berates me.

"I don't know. I thought it would make him mad, or jealous, or something," I say.

"Uh ok. Shit, Mel. He's pulling up to my shop. He's going to see my belly," she says, panicking.

"Oh great... I'll be right there," I tell her, making a U-Turn.

post signature
Write your response in the comments section below or what you think of this prompt. 

Don't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out my other prompts...

               Prompt 37- Living Heart

          Prompt 36- Computer Attack

     Prompt 35- Ruby Angel

Prompt 34- Fired Girl

Prompt 33- Lights out

     Prompt 32- Risk

          Prompt 31- Snow White

               Prompt 30- Mystery Novel

                    Prompt 29- Break up Letter

                        Prompt 28- Not Really Human

                              Prompt 27- Drill Time

                                   Prompt 26- Old Flame

                                   Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate

                              Prompt 24- Hockey Injury

                         Prompt 23- Ten Year Old Letter

                    Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker

               Prompt 21- Truth Telling

          Prompt 20- Best New Years Ever

     Prompt 19- Alone for Seven Days

Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle

Prompt 17- Square One

     Prompt 16- Stolen Lights

          Prompt 15- Strange Reporting

               Prompt 14- Thanksgiving 2013

                    Prompt 13-  3 Minute Free Write

                         Prompt 12- The Mind

                              Prompt 11- ABC's

                                   Prompt 10- A Mysterious Request

                                   Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?

                              Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
                         Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
                    Prompt 6- Hitching a Ride Home
               Prompt 5- He Turned The Key And Saw
          Prompt 4- Doug
     Prompt 3- They Had Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving Secrets
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!