Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 32

Hey all. Welcome back! I've had a crazy week with wedding plans and book writing. A Reliant Love is almost ready and I'm so excited to start dropping more teasers. Wingless is officially finished, editing begins today so I can't wait. Just kidding, I dread starting this phase, but it needs to be done.
Friday, I'll give you the unofficial blurb for Boundless (#2 in Wing series). So let's prompt so I can get back to work!
Prompt Thirty-Two- Risk

"If you don't risk anything, you risk more." Erica Jong. Write a story that uses this quote, revolves around the quote or somehow uses the idea of the quote. Free write!

My Response...

I try to live my life by making lists. I know it sounds lame, but it really does work for me. For example, choosing a college. I had three top schools, all of which I was accepted to. I made three lists of pros and cons for each, and when there was more pros than cons and one school's list looked better, I chose.
Lists make everything simpler. It really lays it all out there. You can't deny a list. So when I made a list of why I shouldn't tell Cameron that I love him, it made sense that I had to keep my feelings to myself. I'd hate to lose him as a friend--the main reason on the cons list. But lately, I just can't keep it in. I'm starting to think maybe the risk is worth it despite the list.
"Stop thinking," Cam says as he grabs me from behind. I jump as I'm startled and turn to face him. His blue eyes are wide and he falls into step with me. 
"I'm not, I was just..." I try to cover up but it's worthless. Cam's one of my closest friends and he knows I'm a babbling idiot, especially when he's around. And lately, since my feeling have developed into unknown territory.
"What's our plans today?" Cam asks.
"I have to study for my test tomorrow. I was heading to the library." I tell him as we turn towards the large library at the end of the quad.
"Let's say we did, but really let's go to the lake." He nods his head as if he's come up with the best idea.
"I dont want to."
"Come on, Cassie. It's a beautiful day. Why waste it inside?"
"I have a test, though." I whine.
"Here's a list for you." I frown at him for using my lists against me. "One- it's beautiful. Two- your best friend wants you to go. Three- you need to have some fun. Four- you love to swim."
"Okay, okay. I get it. Fine."
* * *
After changing and getting a beach bag, Cameron drives us to the lake. It's packed with kids from school, sunbathing and lounging around. It's only May but it's so warm and I actually agree with Cam. It's worth it. Cam runs around the car after he parks and grabs the door for me.
I follow him past the beach of people. A bunch of people say hey to Cam, like usual. Everyone loves Cam, and it's no mystery why. He's perfect in every single way. I start to reach for his hand, contemplating showing my feelings but pull back at the last second.
The damn list lurking in the back of my mind.
"Are you going to tell me what's freaking you out?" Cam looks back at me as he continues to lead me around the beach. Finally he settles on a spot a little farther from the ground and I stop beside him.
"Nothing, Cam."
"Just tell me, Cass. It's getting annoying." He rolls his eyes down at me.
"Well, I'm sorry I'm annoying you. I'll just go." I start to move away but he grabs my forearm and holds tight.
"I'm sorry," he says and lets me go.
"Me too."
"But you still won't tell me?"
"It's just"-I start to regret even thinking of telling him. But it's time I got this off my chest. If he ditches me then he wasn't a good friend anyway (point three on the pros list)-"I like you, Cam."
"Well, duh. I like you, too." He laughs.
"No," I sigh. "I mean, I really like you." He looks at me like he's not following so I slam the final nail in my coffin. "I think I might love you." A weight lifts off my chest and despite the fact that I just bared my soul to Cam, all that matters is I took the risk. 
post signature
Write your response in the comments section below or what you think of this prompt. 

Don't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out my other prompts...

          Prompt 32- Snow White

               Prompt 30- Mystery Novel

                    Prompt 29- Break up Letter

                        Prompt 28- Not Really Human

                              Prompt 27- Drill Time

                                   Prompt 26- Old Flame

                                   Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate

                              Prompt 24- Hockey Injury

                         Prompt 23- Ten Year Old Letter

                    Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker

               Prompt 21- Truth Telling

          Prompt 20- Best New Years Ever

     Prompt 19- Alone for Seven Days

Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle

Prompt 17- Square One

     Prompt 16- Stolen Lights

          Prompt 15- Strange Reporting

               Prompt 14- Thanksgiving 2013

                    Prompt 13-  3 Minute Free Write

                         Prompt 12- The Mind

                              Prompt 11- ABC's

                                   Prompt 10- A Mysterious Request

                                   Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?

                              Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
                         Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
                    Prompt 6- Hitching a Ride Home
               Prompt 5- He Turned The Key And Saw
          Prompt 4- Doug
     Prompt 3- They Had Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving Secrets
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!