Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Writing Wednesday | Prompt 26



Hi guys! How are we all doing today? It's snowing here, what a shocker! NOT... I'm super excited to write with you all today. Have you noticed the new things on the blog? I decided, since I get many questions about what exactly Wednesday's are about, to make a little blurb up top to explain. I hope it's useful :) Anyway, let's get to the writing. I have a busy day since I started my next book which is a young adult fantasy!! More on that later...


Prompt Twenty-Six- Old Flame

I found this one on Writers Digest, and I LOVE IT! They have it as a 500 word limit, so we'll do that, too. Here's what you do, you call an old flame from high school whom you still have feelings for and ask to meet up. The flame says, “Sure, how about noon at the pub by your house.” While waiting at the pub, your flame walks in—wearing a wedding dress (or tuxedo). The flame looks at you and says, “I’m supposed to be getting married today, but …” Finish the story! What happens next for these two? Again, it's 500 words or less. 

My Response...

I'm sitting at the bar, my nerves on high alert. I don't think my heart could beat faster if it tried. The bartender slides a shot across the wood panel and I nod, thanking him for picking up on my anxiety. I swear some bartenders are freaking mind readers. I take it fast and don't bother with a chaser, I want to feel the burn.

I feel the wind from the door before I turn. For some odd reason, I can feel him in my gut and know that he's just walked in. I turn, slowly that way I don't hyperventilate, and he's there in all of his glory. It's like not a second has gone by between the time we've seen each other. My own personal time machine transporting me back to college when we were together.

But then again, it's different. He's aged--but not in a bad way. No, very, very good. His dark brown hair looks to be darker but that may just be the hint of grey on the sides that contrasts it. Thirty has treated him well. I know his birthday was just a week ago, the big three-oh, since it's two days before my own birthday.

It may just be that I'm sitting down but he looks taller than before. I know it can't be true. Who grows after college. I guess it's just the presence he now carries. Oh, god. He's wearing a tuxedo. Why the hell would he come here wearing that? 

Before I can ask, our eyes meet and lock onto each other. He takes tentative steps towards me, as if he's afraid I'll slip away. I stand from my stool, never breaking contact and match his movements, only towards him. 

"Jill?" he asks, reaching forward and touching my shoulder as if to make sure I'm real. My heart thumps out of my chest.

"It's me," I tell him, smiling from ear-to-ear. This is exactly was I was hoping for when I contacted him. I truly was never over him. I only dreamed that he'd feel the same way. From the look on his face, I think he does.

"I'm supposed to be getting married today, but I had to see you," Carter says. At first, I think my ears are playing tricks on me. But as I look up and down his body, it makes sense. He's getting married. My rapid beating heart finally stills and my internal wall shoots up a mile high.

"Oh, how exciting," I feign excitement and put on a fake happy face.

"So, you still do that, huh?" He smirks at me, narrowing his hawk like gaze at me.

"What?" I ask back, crossing my arms over my chest with defense.

"The whole, I-don't-care-I'll-pretend-I'm-emotionless thing."

"I don't do that!" I yell back, crinkling my nose in an I'm unsure is unattractive way.

"Listen," he says, placing his arm on my elbow. I swear a bolt of lightning shoots around my body. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"I don't get why since you're getting married." I pause. "Today!"

"I had to know," he says, stepping beside me and taking up a spot on my stool. I follow behind him and sit next to him, moving my glass over so it's in front of me. I nod at the bartender to refill it and he retreats to his stand. "I had to know if you still felt what we had. We were young when we were together and things were different. We're thirty now, Jilly." My stomach somersaults at the nickname only he uses.

"I know," I say, sulking. "I guess I just missed you and wanted to see you. I'm sorry I called and ruined your day."

"You didn't, that's the thing. I wish that I was mad at you but when I got your message, I freaked. I didn't realize it but we never really stopped. I always have you in the back of my mind. I always wonder what you were doing and where you are. To find out we live in the same city all of this time, kills me."

"I never stopped loving you," I tell him, taking a chance. But I can't face him. I hide my face behind a curtain of hair so his rejection doesn't hurt as much. He's almost married--what am I thinking even still being here?

"Jilly." His voice is so soft when he says my name. I swear he was meant to say my name. "I still love you. That's why I came." He pauses but as I'm about to jump for joy and yell, he halts me. "But are we actually good together? I mean, we broke up once already, almost eight years went by. How can it work now?"

"Well, we're older. We're smarter," I start to say but I know I can't convince him because even I don't know what the future holds. "At the end of the day, I don't know if it will work. How could you know? Things change, but people never really do. We're soulmates and that hasn't changed and it won't. I love you and you love me and that's enough if it's true love. You're the only one in my live I've ever been able to truly love and to be honest, I don't think that can change. You're it for me. But if you don't agree, then I respect that. I respect that there might be someone else out there for you. I'll move on and look for the next best thing. But you're the one, the it, for me. That can't change and I don't want it to."

"I don't think I want it to change either," he says after a moment.

"What are you saying?" I ask back, hoping for the best. I mean, this is my guy and I want him all to myself. I've waited long enough. I've gotten my life together so that I could be good enough for him. And I truly believe that now is the time for us.

"You're my one, Jilly." He takes my hand in his and cradles it. "I want to not know the future with you. You're the it for me."

Sorry, it was WAY OVER 500 words. Damn word limits suck!

post signature
Write your response in the comments section below or what you think of this prompt. 

Didn't like this prompt? Want to do another? Check out my other prompts...

                                   Prompt 25- Greedy Roommate

                              Prompt 24- Hockey Injury

                         Prompt 23- Ten Year Old Letter

                    Prompt 22- Two Minute Thinker

               Prompt 21- Truth Telling

          Prompt 20- Best New Years Ever

     Prompt 19- Alone for Seven Days

Prompt 18- Christmas Miracle

Prompt 17- Square One

     Prompt 16- Stolen Lights

          Prompt 15- Strange Reporting

               Prompt 14- Thanksgiving 2013

                    Prompt 13-  3 Minute Free Write

                         Prompt 12- The Mind

                              Prompt 11- ABC's

                                   Prompt 10- A Mysterious Request

                                   Prompt 9- Why Did You Do It?

                              Prompt 8- Dream Turned Reality
                         Prompt 7- Fortune Teller
                    Prompt 6- Hitching a Ride Home
               Prompt 5- He Turned The Key And Saw
          Prompt 4- Doug
     Prompt 3- They Had Nothing To Say
Prompt 2- Skydiving Secrets
Prompt 1- What's A Prompt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!