Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, November 8, 2013

ABC Challenge | Winners

I'm sure you've heard a bunch about this ABC Challenge that my friend Suzan St Maur hosted. It was a blast. I had so much fun judging it and today she posted the winners and my comments. So today, I'm going to post it as well! Here we go and don't forget to check out the people's posts. They were truly awesome.

How did I judge them? 

First of all, they were all incredibly different. I had some on taxes, some on writing and others from speaking German to a business conference. So to keep it fair, I didn't really take into consideration how much I related or liked a topic.


I did it based on these things...

  • Whether the post fit in with other posts on the person's site.
  • Flow was huge for me. I wanted it to read like a story, or at least flow from one letter to the next.
  • Usefulness of tips/ humor if used/ relevancy.
  • Just my overall instincts.
She here are my thoughts!


Fits really well with her website. She has a lot of wedding, engagement and relationship related posts. I found that her style is really whimsical. I enjoyed her post a lot. I think on her website, the layout was very professional and attractive. I know it’s really hard when you get to the bottom of the alphabet but I think she did a good job. Although a few of the last ones had multiple sentences but I’ll let it slide. Her ‘x’ was awesome. I thought it was very clever the way she tied in xmas. My favorite line might have to be “never criticize your sweetheart, give constructive advice instead. I think that’s really huge in a relationship and I can relate. You always want to support your loved one.

Overall, 8/10.

2.Andrea Wisden – A bit of alphabet writing fun

This blog is very spiritual, laid back and fun. The author has tons of categories and started, I believe I read that somewhere on her site, by taking on a 30 day challenge. She talks about relationships, music, meditation, food and so much more. I think this post was right on track with what the author tends to blog about and readers of her blog would like it.

The flow was a little awkward. Of course, I’m nitpicking but it read choppy and at times I had trouble understanding who was talking or what was going on. BUT it was really funny. Between the chocolate, fruit and then deciding for nothing, I thought the dialogue was spot on. The bottom of the alphabet was done very well. I like how she transitioned into music and got the ‘x’ and then ‘z’. Very clever.

Overall, 7/10


This blog post was definitely something her readers would love to read. She blogs a lot about German-- whether it be the food, teaching, translations or tradition, she has it all. I found myself perusing through posts just because it was so interesting.

I like how she did all conversation. It made the post much easier to read. I also like how she color coated it so we knew who was speaking. It was nicely done. Some parts were really funny to me, like “Jolly good” or “Hang on”. She really worked hard to get each letter done and I applaud that. The ending didn’t really go with the rest of the post. Starting with “xylophones” it kind of trailed off. But I know how hard it is to get those in.

Overall, 8/10.

4.Carol Tomany of Divineknits with Infiknit

I’m not sure if this post really goes with the writer’s blog. She posts mostly on crafts and most of those having to do with knitting and everything that goes along with it. But in the post she explains that right now writing is more of a hobby that she’s looking to dabble in.

I really loved the flow of this piece. It read more like how I wrote my A to Z post—a story. I like how she conjoined sentences and made it work together. I have to admit, Hemingway’s quote is one of my all time favorites so I love that she added that in. I also was able to relate to her words when she spoke of writing meaningful posts. “There must be a skeleton or two hidden in the closet to expose.” Might have been my favorite line of the whole piece.

Overall, 7/10

5.Debbie Simorte from Writing The Life Chaotic

Debbie’s blog has a little bit of everything. She writes poems and more and I think this post was right on target. I like how she used a list to organize it. I think that’s a really creative way to make this challenge work. She even used ‘a’ to introduce the reader to the topic which was smart.

I completely agree with what she says about commenting on blogs. I like how this was like a how to be a good blogger post. At least that’s how I took it. I think if all bloggers follow this formula (maybe, minus the zebras J) everyone would have good blog etiquette. I thought Xanax was an awesome way to tie in the dreadful ‘z’.

Overall, 10/10

6.Haywards Heath & District Business Association – the HHDBA 2014 Conference

This one was very clever. I had no idea what to expect since I’m not really a business person but it was very well done. I thought the post was right on track with the blog. It explained a conference that’s coming up and more or less pitched why people of Sussex should go.

I loved how it was written in paragraphs. At first, I didn’t know how it was following the abc post but as I looked deeper, I saw the sentencing. I haven’t seen anyone write it in this format so I thought it was very creative and well done. Although xperts was spelt wrong to make it work, it was hidden well and still followed the rules, even if I did notice. Loved the end, “zero attendance is not an option.”

Overall, 6/10

7.Lynn Tulip, Assessement4Potential

This post went right along with the feel of the blog and what it writes about. This is mostly a career helping blog, that informs about recruiting, searching for jobs, how to’s and more career related topics such as military options and interviews. This post followed the same topics.

I like how the post started with questions. I always find questions like that to engage a reader and especially on this blog where they’re speaking directly to a group of specific people, you’ll be able to hook a reader. I also like how it then turned into a checklist or what to or not to do. I think the post flowed very well. Love how x, y, and z were brought it. It wasn’t awkward and it was done very well.

Overall, 8/10 

7.Lynn Tulip, Assessement4Potential

This post went right along with the feel of the blog and what it writes about. This is mostly a career helping blog, that informs about recruiting, searching for jobs, how to’s and more career related topics such as military options and interviews. This post followed the same topics.

I like how the post started with questions. I always find questions like that to engage a reader and especially on this blog where they’re speaking directly to a group of specific people, you’ll be able to hook a reader. I also like how it then turned into a checklist or what to or not to do. I think the post flowed very well. Love how x, y, and z were brought it. It wasn’t awkward and it was done very well.


Overall, 8/10

 9. Robert Killington – VAT (the UK’s Value Added Tax)

I had no idea what VAT was before this article but it opened my eyes. The entire website is focused on VAT and gives advice, testimonials and information. So of course, this post was spot on. I absolutely loved the definitions idea that this post followed. It was so unique and interesting.

By having almost all of them in word then definition order, it chopped it up. It was still able to flow nicely though from one idea to the other. I actually learned a lot from the post which made me like it even more. I’d even venture to say it was VAT: for dummies. (that’s me).

Overall, 10/10

10.Robert Zarywacz - Robzlog


This blog has a lot to do with North Devon. But the writer also has a book that he posts on there. But within the blog, there are a ton of topics that have to do with it. Entertainment, business, food—all of it. So this one had to do with a VAT return he had to complete over the weekend.

I love how this read as a story. That’s how I did mine as well and I find it very challenging. But this person did an awesome job. It flowed very well from thought to thought. Even as he neared the end of the alphabet, it seemed to continue on as if it was no problem. I think it helped that ‘z’ was taken care of.

Overall, 10/10

This blog is really cool. It’s very techy and has reviews, how tos and other fun stuff having to do with technology, or apps or programs. This post was a how to play any video using airplay on a mac. It fits right into the blog and what it typically talks about.

This post flowed beautifully. Not ever using beamer or airplay and not having a tech savy mind, I was still wrapped into the post and read it in one fluid glance. I really enjoyed how nonchalant the writer was about the abc’s. To a person who didn’t know of the challenge, they might read it and never know the abc format. I also enjoyed the last couple lines which says a lot since they’re typically the hardest. Zero cables equals zero headache. Great line!


Overall, 9/10

12.Sarupa Shah - The A-Z of Affirmations

This blog has a lot on it. There’s magazines, books, business coaching and even a meditation store. I found it very attractive and had an easy to read feel to it. It was sleek. This post explained affirmations, which I had no idea what she was talking about until I read the post.

I read this post as a mental pep talk to take charge in life and make a difference. Whether it be business, which is what the post aimed for, or life, I think it was really touching and motivating. “Tomorrow is just an excuse,” is such a powerful quote that I take to heart from this post. You can apply that to any aspect of your life. The piece flowed and made sense.

Overall, 8/10

13.Stuart Sorensen, The Care Guy

The Care Guy aka Stuart Sorenson is a mental health nurse turned PSI. His website is packed with information, testimonials and even a shop. He blogs also about various things and this post was right with his typical post.

I like how he asks the reader questions. It really engages the audience and I think that’s key to creating a readership. He was very good at weighing pros and cons in his article. He says how much it can benefit but also the risks. I like that he was upfront. I also liked how it read as a story rather than a list or choppy ideas. It made the flow more consistent. Also the last couple letters were done really well.

Overall, 7/10

MY PERSONAL FAVORITES IN ORDER...

1st: Debbie Simorte from Writing The Life Chaotic

2nd: Robert Zarywacz - Robzlog

2nd: Robert Killington – VAT (the UK’s Value Added Tax)

SOME AWARDS I CAME UP WITH...

Most Geared Towards Audience: Stuart Sorensen, The Care Guy
Most Motivating: Sarupa Shah - The A-Z of Affirmations
Best Hook of Readers: Lynn Tulip, Assessement4Potential
Best Format: Haywards Heath & District Business Associationthe HHDBA 2014 Conference
Best Flow: Carol Tomany of Divineknits with Infiknit
Most Creative: Angelika Davey of Angelika’s German Tuition and Translation

Most Funny: Andrea Wisden – A bit of alphabet writing fun

I want your thoughts on these two! They're really fun to read and only 26 sentences long! So check them out, give some love to their writers and comment! Thanks for playing guys :)

2 comments:

Tell me what you think!