Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Writing Exercises | Dictionary Definitions



Our weekly writing exercise is here! I've been so busy editing that I didn't even realize it was Wednesday. Oh how time flies when you're having fun... or just working. I don't even remember where I first heard this exercise but it's silly and fun. I love it. Enjoy!


Pick up a dictionary. Flip it to a page and pick a word that you don't know. Don't read the definition! Instead make one completely up and write it down. Use the word in a sentence. Afterwards, find the correct definition and you can see the difference. 

The word I chose...

quincunx

My definition...

(v) to karate chop, or hit with an open palm causing a person to fall over oneself. 

Use it in a sentence...

I had to QUINCUNX that guy in the groin when he tried to mug me at the gas station. 

So, what's the actual definition?

noun
1.
an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.
2.
Botany an overlapping arrangement of five petals or leaves, in which two are interior, two are exterior, and one is partly interior and partly exterior.


I think I was a little off... Anyways, this exercise really tests your brain and makes you use your imagination. It's fun for everyone and it's cool to see how off you really are. Try it out and show me your made up definitions! I love laughing at what you all come up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!